After the countless hours of removing all of this wall paper in the front hall and upstairs hallway, I thought we would just be able to put up a little spackle and paint. Boy was I wrong. There is not enough spackle in the world that could've made these walls look okay. So we had a painter come out and skim coat the walls. It took him almost 4 days to do this work...but it was worth every penny! Now, with the exception of the den and the two upstairs bedrooms, all of the walls in the house are basically new.
Let me take a minute here and say this was probably the backwards way to do things. In reality, we should have demo'd all the walls and started completely new. And we were advised to do that. But it just wasn't in the budget to demo all the walls in the house. You could make the argument that we spent more money on working with what was there, but I don't believe in the end it would have been less expensive to demo every wall. Also, we would have needed to replace all of the trim in the house...and the trim is beautiful. Its not something that would have been easy or even possible to replicate, so I made the decision that having imperfect walls was better over removing all the trim. Just one of those decisions you have to make and then live with...and I feel like we made the right decision for us in the end.